11.09.2009

Holt Renfrew's Holiday Window 2009

Extending off of my last entry about getting into the Holiday spirit, I finally went and took a peek of this year's Holt Renfrew holiday window display. And I must say, what a way to get into the Christmas spirit.

Though the weather today was a perfect 17 degrees, far from the snowy Christmas feel (Despite the fact that I lived in California and Egypt, so I know what it's like to experience a non-white Christmas) most people are used to, window shopping at Holt did put me in the Christmas caroling and chestnuts roasting kind of mood. While sticking to a high fashion theme (after all they have to stick to their reputation of being the Saks Fifth of Canada) Holt's window carried an aesthetic that allows it to be able to relate to everyone. Any passerby down Bloor will love the traditional Christmas figures of snowmen and reindeers, and the couturites will definitely enjoy the fashion side of it as well. I do regret not making to the actual unveiling, I hear Feist made quite the perfect entertainment for the night. However, even if you didn't go to the actual unveiling, I do recommend walking down that way and having a look. My personal favorite, the window of Anna Wintour, Lagerfeld and Galliano snowpeople. I believe Vivienne Westwood was somewhere in there too, I might have to make a second trip to figure out who the other ones are, I thought I saw a hint of Jeanne Beker.








Of course, the experience isn't complete without a Starbucks holiday drink (My fave is the Gingerbread latte, I'm crossing my fingers it comes back this year). So if you do decide to go and have a life imitating art day a la Holly Golighty Breakfast at Tiffany's Style, make sure you come prepared with coffee in hand, pastry in the other and a love for fashion mindset.

Like I said in my last post, I am one of those people that find the Christmas spirit through capitalistic means of malls and stores coming up with brilliant marketing strategies to lure people into buying random crap they probably won't need for themselves and their families. But, whatever gets you in that spirit of giving, right? After all, at the end of the day, isn't what Christmas is all about? Well, at least it's what society teaches us... until my next adventure, good night and good reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment