11.02.2009

Kensington Market

Last Sunday, to get into the Halloween spirit and explore another Toronto neighborhood, I decided to take part in the Halloween festivities at Kensington Market. It was the perfect time to go too. Last Sunday was the last day of P.S. Kensington, where streets are closed off allowing pedestrians to wander around freely and facilitating street vendors to have more room and showcase their goods.



I wasn't really sure what to expect from Kensington Market. I've been to a lot of different places similar to it (the Byward Market in Ottawa) all around the world, so I figured it would be another street fair type with fun trinkets here and there and good eats. That's not what I got though, instead I got an extremely cultural and diverse market place that had so much to offer, it took us the entire day to wander around and see everything there was to see. Going there definitely made me appreciate this city a lot more (not that I'm not already deeply in love with it!) and really sort of affirmed my move here. It is always a refreshing breath to be in a city that is able to tolerate and appreciate people from different walks of life.

Pictures do say a thousand words, so here are some highlights from my adventure at Kensington Market:

The scenery



The hotbox cafe. Their sign said "Serving Potheads since... ahh I forget".




Me enjoying the market!

The Entertainment:



And the BEST part, The Food:




Check out how big that donut bun is from Hong Kong Bakery.

Although, P.S. Kensington is done for the season, the market is still open 7 days a week from 11 AM to 7 PM, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves trying new things and meeting interesting people. I think it's pretty cool that you don't even have to leave your own city to meet people and try different foods from all over the world.

Until my next adventure, good night and good reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment