1.22.2010

International Collection by Roots

You know, I've been to a lot of places around the world and even lived in some of them for quite some time but Canada has really been one that I have called a home I've created for myself. After four years, I think I've lived in this country long enough to have grown very accustomed to its culture, the people and its breathtaking environment and I consider myself very lucky to have that. The funny realization to this story actually came recently when I became conscious of the fact that I actually liked Roots Canada. Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot dress myself for the winter weather (I said I liked the people, culture and its environment, I never said anything about the weather), or that I appreciate people who walk around passing sweatpants as something you wear in public. And I have guiltily stereotyped Roots to be that: unstylish, uncreative and lazy cold-weather attire. I really do bite my tongue for saying that.

As I get to know the Canadian Fashion industry more, Roots is more than what I thought it was. On the contrary, it is a huge representation of a culture within Canada that is already somewhat ambiguous and also a considerable depiction of Canadian style. The lumberjack plaids and winter flap hats that is so overly stereotyped of Canadians around the world has been embraced by the company and made it something they are truly proud of. As Co-Founders Michael Budman and Don Green, even said it, the Roots style and values are based on quality, integrity and longevity and I have come to learn that it legitimately is.



With a strong commitment to core ethical principles and values, which includes a clear-cut dedication to the betterment of the environment, a pledge to attempt and produce locally (within Canada) as much as they can, practice of good business and workplace conduct (See Roots Work Place Code of Conduct), the wide spreading of a healthy lifestyle (Roots opened an eco-friendly Yoga Studio in Toronto in 2006) and a constant supporter of the Canadian culture, the summer camp chic brand is without a doubt a great representation of Canada and its, dare I say it, very friendly, kind and generous people.

Well, I've digressed enough. The reason for this post is I've recently been visiting their store on a weekly basis at the Eaton Centre and I'm really liking their Leather Goods International Collection. Just in time for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics! One side comment though... they really should add the Philippines flag to the collection, I'm just saying.

Here are my favorite pieces from the line:
PHOTOGRAPHS COURTESY OF CANADA.ROOTS.COM


Passport Wallet: England and Germany


Passport Wallet


Douglas Duffel in Tribe Leather


Village Pack: Italy


Varsity Bag in Tribe Leather

Until next time, good night and good reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment