10.25.2009

Chef Michael Smith

As I mentioned last week, Chef Michael Smith of Chef at Home and Chef Abroad was going to be at Indigo in the Eaton Centre to do a book signing for his current book that's out, The Best of Chef at Home. Well, being a big fan of his show and his cooking, I went to catch a glimpse of the celebrity chef.

My impressions? I would love for him to be my full time chef or my best friend for that matter! He sounds and acts exactly as he does on TV as he does in person; personable, likable and very engaging. He talked about what makes cooking great and why it makes him happy. He says that cooking is all about your family and friends, that without having those kinds of people to cater for makes it less enjoyable and less adventurous. It's all about exploring and pleasing our taste buds and experimenting with what's out there in terms of ingredients. He also addressed the irony of having written a cookbook, as his mantra for his show has always been "Cooking without a recipe". He explains that the success of the TV show has led to so many people asking him to share the different meals he had discovered through cooking with the spontaneous use of ingredients that it made him consider writing cookbooks. And like he said, what is better than sharing food with friends and family.



The Best of Chef at Home is definitely a great addition to a collection of cookbooks, especially for someone like me who is afraid to cook as I've failed so many times in the kitchen making the simplest things. But with Chef Michael Smith, as cheesy as it sounds, he helps you get over that fear and just have fun and try new things in the kitchen. And I think we are lucky and privileged enough to have a very talented chef like him share his favorite meals with us so we can in turn share it with others.

I'm definitely trying out some of his recipes and who knows, I might just invite you all for dinner and share my delicious cooking with you. With a couple or more first attempts at it of course!

Until my next adventure, good night and good reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment