10.06.2009

Nuit Blanche: First Toronto Adventure

I am just so lucky that the week I move into the city, the greatest art concept is taking place. There is only one event I am talking about and that is the ever growing Scotiabank sponsored event, Nuit Blanche.



For those who don't know, Nuit Blanche is an idea that started in Europe where art lovers could experience an all night festival immersed in everything, well, artsy. The tradition has continued and we are so privileged enough that the movement has come to North America and I got to experience it first hand!

Literally, the event takes place from sunset to sunrise, and different parts of the city becomes one huge art exhibit. As it was my first time, I decided to be spontaneous (or rebellious?) and didn't map out my course like they suggest you to. I guess that was a little bit of a mistake because I wasn't able to see everything that was of importance to be seen. My advice then to myself and for those who wish to go next year is exactly what their website says: MAP OUT YOUR PATH! However, that being said, I still saw some interesting exhibits AND I was able to explore the city at the same time. And what better way to do so than through art!

Here are some of the highlights of what I did see:


Light installation at Dundas Square. The sock lights sort of gave me a future idea of how to decorate my bathroom. Possibility?


This piece was of a woman dressed in a giant white gown floating and dancing around. I wasn't entirely sure what the meaning of it was and I thought it was kind of bizarre but I did give her props for doing that all night long.


These drummers were extremely talented. They were parked right outside the Eaton Centre and asked volunteers from the audience to drum with them. I don't think I've ever seen hands move so fast.


This was interesting. All you can see of the exhibit from far was a giant talk bubble that said "Hey Dave!" and a line of people waiting. As we got closer, there was a sign explaining the whole point and it was to say Hey to this guy (I'm assuming Dave?) that was sitting there. I'm guessing he wanted to see how many people would do it? Oh the things we call "art" nowadays...


This was probably one of the best art displays I saw all night. At Nathan Philips Square, this exhibit showed illuminated four letter words flash every hour suspended in between the two buildings.


Another favorite: A carnival with a fun slide in the middle of Bay Street. Maybe a hint for bankers to lighten up?


Jeff Koons' inflatable silver rabbit. It was floating in the middle of the Eaton Centre and it was pretty fun having the balloon there when all the stores were closed. It kind of gave the place an eerie feeling, like one of those weird dreams you have where things make no sense or one of those illustrated optical illusions come to life, or something.

I definitely recommend Nuit Blanche for any art lovers out there. It's a fun experience. Just make sure you wear comfortable shoes and have an open mind!

Until my next adventure, good night and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment